IBM (VM) to UNIX communications

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sun Sep 7 10:46:59 AEST 1986

From: gjc at datlog.co.uk ( Gary Clark )
>I have been asked to investigate the possibility of connecting
>our Vax 11/750 running System V.2, to our in house IBM machine,
>which runs VM.  We have an asynch controller for the IBM machine,
>as well as 3270 emulators avialable (via a PABX), and the vax
>has a DHU-11 mutliplexor.   The IBM machine does not run a version
>of IX/370 (or any other type of Unix for that matter).

You can get Kermit for CMS (and UNIX) from Columbia and probably have
it up in less than an hour, but that's a 'personal' file transfer
thing and may not be general enough for you.

You can get Bitnet for both systems, UREP (from UPENN?) and standard
Bitnet for your VM system, it will require a synch line for each
system (hmm, does UREP work on SYSV?)

You can get TCP/IP for your SYSV system, and an ethernet board,
and get one of a few TCP/IP implementations for VM (IBM: WiscNet,
Spartacus KNET, I think ACC has something also.) This of course
is not cheap (tho not horrendous) but it can be very good.

As far as interfacing PROFs goes, you should probably speak to
IBM, probably Bitnet is the right thing to start with. You also
might try a query to IBM-NETS at BITNIC.BITNET. There's also the RJE
stuff for SYSV but I know nothing about it or what it requires.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University