Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

Maintenance Account root at dosadi.UUCP
Sun Sep 14 19:05:13 AEST 1986

> Why make the poor secretaries learn MS-DOS?  A network of Macintoshes
> can provide all of the office needs you mentioned, Paul, and they can
> have electronic mail to boot (InBox from Think Technologies).  My
> secretary was about as computer-illiterate as you can get but she
> picked up her new Mac and was blasting out memos and spreadsheets and
> using Email in a day or two.
>
> Brian Fenske                           Boeing Aerospace Company
> UUCP: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!brian          Seattle, Washington

Why should they have to use MS-DOS?  I support PC's where I work
and the only thing my users know about the good ole A> prompts
is that they should have one on the screen before turning the
machine off.  There are scads of menu shells out there and you
don't need a system administrator to install one.

Mac networking.  Can you say s-l-o-w?  I knew you could.  I'd love
to see a law office running macs.  Especially considering what's
available in word processing programs for it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mac.  It's just that I can't afford
to deal with a machine that allows me to take a coffee break
while it reformats a long document.

I don't think PC's are the ultimate cure-all either.  If anyone
had that, everyone else would be out of business.

Oh yea, this was asking about word processing recommendations, wasn't
it.  Here's mine.  I'll recommend the PC's too.  As far as software
is concerned, try Word Perfect.  It has just about every feature
that you'd want in a word processing program (except for mac style
font juggling) and is easy enough to use that a secretary can
do letters, memos and other good junk in an hour or two.  Also
the documentation is good enough that a secretary can actually
learn the program off of it.  Unfortunately, few PC word processing
programs can make that claim.

I like unix too, but I'd hate to support as many secretaries using
it as I currently do using PC's.

I have no affiliation with IBM, Apple, Word Perfect Corp,
Think Technologies, DEC, AT&T, or anyone else for that matter.

--

/Dave Edick/

{hplabs,ihnp4}!qantel!dosadi!root

             "I come in peace, take me to your lizard"