Porting UNIX Applications to the Mac

Cyrus Foughty cy at killer.UUCP
Fri Sep 26 02:50:58 AEST 1986

In article <981 at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, wetter at tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
> In article <15372 at mordor.ARPA> jdb at mordor.UUCP (John Bruner) writes:
> >  I am far more productive with "vi" on UNIX than with any of
> >the mouse-based editors I've run across on the Mac.
[ deleted crap ( wasted space) ]
> with the mouse isn't faster then banging away on random cursor keys. It's true
> that you can go directly to a specific line number but you can't easily go up
> five lines and over twenty characters. Also a mouse based editor is much easier
Alright, try this : when in vi in the command mode enter: 5k20l
See how fast that is! Your probably just to lazy to learn vi, it is inifinitely
flexible compared to any other editor. One must invest the time to learn!!!
I'll race you any day, and I'm not a touch typist. (boy will those people
be in trouble when Dvorak takes over, and it will)

> to cut & paste in (which if you looked at code I've written  you'll know why
> I like this--" Who needs a for next loop I'll just paste it in five times")
>
>      Also, you need to move your hands away from the "home row" whenever you
> hit the escape key or any other "control key". The mouse isn't any worse
> ( unless you have an infinate typing speed). However, there is one small
> thing I should mention, I'm using a trackball instead of a mouse (desk space
> Yay!!!!!!!). If you are using a mouse on a towel (yucky surface) I might
> believe you but otherwise. Snicker Snicker...
>
> Nuff Said
>
> Pierce wetter

The above are the rantings of an deranged group of folks. not really ;-)

cy
{dj3b1,ihnp4}!killer!cy

"Degree,degree..... I don't need no stinking degree!!!"
Dangermouse is alive!!