X-windows manual/hints

Mike Howard 213317-5690 howard at aic.dpl.scg.hac.com
Fri Oct 27 14:49:15 AEST 1989

In article <3498 at zorba.Tynan.COM> bh11+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
>Does anybody out there have advice about what book(s) I should go out
>and buy (or borrow from our library) regarding interfacing with the
>X-window system from a C program?  Does anybody have any advice period?

Douglas Young's book is the best reference to the X toolkit.  It does
use HP widgets, which aren't in the main distribution, so if you don't
see them on your system, look in "contrib" for Xhp.

Young, "X Window Systems, Programming & Applications with Xt", Prentice-
Hall, NJ, 1989.

There is an earlier book by Oliver Jones called "Intro to the X Window
System".  It is good for reference into the lower level Xlib stuff.

You want to program using the toolkits as much as possible.  They are
higher level, and make life much simpler.  However, drawing in a window
will require calls to Xlib.  I keep both books at my side.

Mike Howard  howard at aic.hrl.hac.com