hsearch() command (HELP!)

Philip A. Gross pag at tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
Sun Oct 15 08:38:20 AEST 1989

wacohen at phoenix.princeton.edu (William Alan Cohen) writes:

>Hello... I'm not a regular reader of this group but I've got
>this problem, see, and I thought maybe someone would like to help.

>It's about the hsearch command I found in some documentation.
>It's a built-in hash table manager, and I can't figure out how
>it handles storage keys... sometimes there are finds where there
>shouldn't be, other times it seems to fail to find matches.  Does
>anyone have any experience with the command and/or know if it
>may be buggy on my machine?

>   Thanks for your time (you read this, no?)

>     Bill

I am not as familiar with the hsearch(3C) functions as well as I am with
the tsearch(3C) (binary tree) functions.  However, with the use of
tsearch, the functions store a pointer to the pointer you give it.  So
in your comparison/search functions, you should make sure that your are
properly dereferencing the pointers.

Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag at tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.