Passwd file

Richard Stueven gak at gakbox.Corp.Sun.COM
Sun Oct 8 08:51:18 AEST 1989

In article <3456 at zorba.Tynan.COM> bill at twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <3474 at altos86.Altos.COM> uunet!ncar.UCAR.EDU!boulder!fred!bobk (Bob Kinne) writes:
>: What is the purpose of the following /etc/passwd entry?
>:
>: ::0:0:::    (null login, password, and shell)
>
>There is no purpose to it, unless some hacker put it in to allow
>anyone root access.
>
>Generally, it is created by a bug in the software.

Unless you're on a Sun, in which case it is a signal to "include the
Yellow Pages password file here".

have fun
gak

Richard Stueven       gak at sun.com       ...!attmail!rstueven
***These opinions belong to Ernie and his little pal Gus.***
              ***He's mad!  Mad, I tell you!***