Does anyone have a tar or cpio that will use remote devices?

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acdpyr.ucar.edu
Thu Jan 4 18:06:36 AEST 1990

[Moderators Note:-  One thing I use quite a bit, on TCP/ip systems, which
 don't have NFS, is the following:-
	tar cvf - files | rcmd user at machine dd of=device bs=10k
 It works just fine for me (on a System V machine).	- Der]

On our SPARCstations, dump is capable of remote-mounting a tape drive on
another machine by using the option "f user at machine:device".

Does anyone out there have a version of cpio or tar that will also remote-
mount a device on another machine, preferably using a similar "user at machine"
syntax?  We wish to access a high-speed tape drive for backups from remote
UNIX machines, and our cpio and tar do not support remote devices.

Thanks in advance.  --Tim
Tim Fredrick             National Center for Atmospheric Research
(303) 497-1498           Atmospheric Chemistry Division
fredrick at ncar.ucar.edu   PO Box 3000
fredrick at ncar.CSNET      Boulder, CO 80307