curses standout()

Chris Gonnerman jcg at tree.uucp
Wed Jul 4 11:06:53 AEST 1990

In article <3610 at zorba.Tynan.COM>, raza at cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk writes:
> hiy!
>
> i've got a HUGE problem trying to use curses and i'd be REALLY grateful
> if someone could help me to solve it.
>
> the problem is that when i try and use the curses function standout(), it
> simply doesn't work! (this function is used with standend() to make text
> appear in reverse video).
> i am using a TELEVIDEO model 910+, 920c and 910g type terminal, the problem
> is that the function DOES work with a vt100 type terminal.
[ code fragment deleted ]
> has anyone else had this specific type of problem ????
> raz

If you have a function in curses that works on one terminal reliably, but does
not on another, then the culprit may be the /etc/termcap or /usr/lib/terminfo/*
entry for that terminal.  On our system we have a lot of users with very
different terminal emulations, and it has been a battle to trim the terminfo's
or create new ones to support everyone.

I suggest, if you are not comfortable with the internal parts of your termcap
or terminfo system, that you might want to post a request to the net for an
appropriate definition.  If I had one for that terminal, I'd send it to you,
but so far no one has asked for Televideo support.  (Only a matter of time.)

Good luck!