Wordperfect under unix - opinions?

Mark Seiffert marks%mgse at rex.cs.tulane.edu
Sat Jul 14 06:51:57 AEST 1990

In article <3596 at zorba.Tynan.COM> you write:
>Hello all, I manage a Microvax II runing 4.3 BSD unix.  It is rather under
>used, so I am considering getting Wordperfect for it.  I was wondering if
>anyone out there in net land has any experience with wordperfect under UNIX
>that they can share with me.
>  - I understand that 4.2 is the most recent WOrdperfect release for unix.

We have Unix 5.0 in house now, i go to work tomorrow (or this morning)
to install it. The wp binary is 1.5MB, the first user requires 1.2MB to
run and each additional user requires 512k.

>My questions:
>  1) how well does it work with different terminals?  ie: most of our
>     terminals do not have function keys, so the WP commands would have to
>     be <Ctrl> key combinations to work for us.

<Ctrl> or <Ctrl><Shift> works on one of the terminals we have, the rest
all have F-keys.

>  2) is it horribly slow compared to Wordperfect on the PC?

That depends if you call in on a modem at 300 baud, or on a terminal
at 38.4K baud. Of course, you are not going to be as fast as a PC,
the PC version writes directly to video RAM.

>  3) is the command structure similar to that of wordperfect on the PC's?

Yes, very similiar if the keyboard are like the PC and the terminal
is able to provide the correct key responses back to the Unix system. We
are using Link MC5 terminals (mostly), they have a <Alt> key, but the
terminal does not use it in wyse60 emulation, so WP is not able to use it.
WP50 is supposed to be able to display graphics on Wyse 60 and VT220
terminals.

>  4) any personal opinions?

The install is on Sat., i just have to see graphics on a ASCII terminal.
We have used 4.0 for quite some time, and overall it is a good product
considering the environment it is used to running on.

>thanx for any help you can give!
>Art Mulder, art at maccs.DCSS.mcmaster.ca ( <- best),             art at maccs.uucp,
>            ...neat.ai.toronto.edu!maccs!art       uwocc1gate%"art at maccs.uucp"

---
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!marks or rex!mgse!marks
bitnet:         marks%mgse at REX.CS.TULANE.EDU
internet:       marks%mgse at rex.cs.tulane.edu