Developers Can Target One Unix

Per Andersson perand at admin.kth.se
Wed Jul 4 10:55:51 AEST 1990

>I read an article in one of the trade news magazines that stated that
>OSF and Unix International had decided on different emphasis in their
>system's development.  Supposedly, OSF was going to remove features in
>favor of speed.

Is this true ? I wonder. My understanding is that OSF, as is one of the
basics in MACH will remove as much as possible from the KERNEL. Not from
the end product. Stuff that's really not need to be there will be in
threads outside of the kernel. AT&T has some trend where they stuff
everything in the kernel it seems. Why, one day we might even have 'vi'
in there :-)

Feel free to comment if I'm wrong, otherwise perhaps not.
Per
--
---
Per Andersson