afio

J.D. Fulreader jdf0959 at ultb.isc.rit.edu
Sat Nov 3 13:46:17 AEST 1990

	In attempting to solve this problem I have observed:

		- there is no relationship between the type of file
 		  (binary,text,etc) and the corruption of that file

		- varying the archive block size does not seem to
 		  improve the problem (tar uses large block size to
		  allow it to work across a communications channel
		  that may not maintain block size)

		- the problem improves when the  -c buffer count
 		  option is used(afio recommends a large count when
	          using a streaming magnetic tape drive)

		- improvement when a wait loop is used in the remote
 		  process that sends archive data through the pipe to
		  the local afio process

		- the problem is worse with greater load on the
		  network

	I would appreciate any suggestions or information concerning this
 problem.