multi-user TALK on BITnet machines ?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.UUCP
Sat Nov 3 13:45:40 AEST 1990

In article <2243 at megadon.UUCP> Werner Uhrig writes:
> [about looking for a multi-user conference program]
>
>ps: multi-user TALK could even be useful if restricted to only one host
>	as participants might be able to login remotely ...

If you have an ANSI compiler check out my Chat program recently posted
to alt.sources.  It is based on IPC message passing in SVR3 but can be
adapted to other schemes.  The actual message passing is broken out in
order to make it easy to use other schemes.  I plan to implement a TLI
version and a user has told me that they are planning on writing a pipe
version.  I am sure a socket version would be simple as well.  The user
interface is a curses based multi part screen.  There is a one line box
at the bottom of the screen where you enter commands and text.  There
is automatic word wrap on text entry.  As text is entered it scrolls
up onto the larger portion of the screen labelled with your name along
with the text from other users.  There are channels so that more than
one conference can be ongoing at any one time.  You can optionally
save the session to disk and a few scripts are included to start up
based on your preferences.  The current version is 1.2.  There are
fixes and enhancements to come but I think you will find the current
package useful.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   I support gun control.