Summary setting RS232 port to 8 bits on Tek 4301 (mod 4.2 BSD)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.com
Wed Nov 28 10:51:44 AEST 1990

>	In BSD 4.3 it is very easy to do.  Simply set the c_cflag,
>to CS8 (meaning character size = 8).

"I see no 'c_cflag' here."

Or did you mean "BSD 4.4", or maybe "BSD 4.3-reno"?

4.3BSD has the same limited terminal driver as older BSD versions did;
they include no way of asking for 8 bits plus a parity bit.  "c_cflag"
comes from the System III terminal driver interface, which is the basis
of the System V interface as well as much of the POSIX interface; it's
present in any S5 system, as well as any POSIX-compliant system (such as
4.4BSD is intended to be, and as I think 4.3-reno moves some of the way
towards being).

It's also in SunOS 4.0 and later, but remember, SunOS is *not* BSD,
although it shares a lot with it.

>For a Tektronix running a modified version of 4.2 BSD the structure
>is called "sgttyb" found in the sgtty.h header.

The same is true of 4.2BSD and of 4.3BSD.  Tektronix didn't take any
functionality away from BSD here.