Sharing Memory Between Processes

aab at cichlid.com aab at cichlid.com
Wed Nov 21 11:06:36 AEST 1990

In article <2251 at megadon.UUCP> you write:
>I want to modify a LISP interpreter so that the garbage collector
>runs in parallel with the mutator process, rather than have the mutator
>stop and wait while the GC is running.  To do this I want to share
>relatively large amounts of data between the two processes.

If mmap is available (try man mmap) you might want to check it out.
I maintain a LISP system on Suns et al and use mmap (not for
multiprocessing) and it gives you fast startup (no malloc then read
from heap file, just mmap) and automatuc state saving (no explicit
writing the heap to disk).  Good luck
Andy

--
Andy Burgess