Help in getting X and tcp/ip over new network....

Brad Hemminger bmh at tigger.cs.unc.edu
Wed Nov 21 11:00:21 AEST 1990

  We are working on a project that will provide a high speed
network communications card in a Unix workstation and low level support
(read/write/handshaking etc.) routines.  What we would like to do is to get
tcp/ip and then the X Window System (Release 4) running over top of this
high speed network.  I don't have much experience in this and would like to
know answers to (or pointers to where to look) for the questions of

1) how does one get tcp/ip running on a new network (e.g. can you buy
'generic' commerical packages and modify them to match your network)?

2) what's involved with having X11 R4 run over the tcp/ip protocol that
get's setup on your new network?

We don't have expertise in this area so we're looking for hopefully easy
off the shelf solutions, or solutions that can be purchased with some (not
too many :-) dollars.

Thanks,
    Brad Hemminger
    bmh at rad.unc.edu