curses standout()

Dave Gotwisner dig at peritek.UUCP
Thu Oct 18 02:48:27 AEST 1990

In article <2182 at megadon.UUCP>, kpv at ulysses.att.com (Phong Vo[drew]) writes:
# In article <2128 at megadon.UUCP>, peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
# : In article <3653 at zorba.Tynan.COM> uunet!ncoast.ORG!allbery (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
# : > Curses was written for ANSI X3.64 terminals, however
# :
# : Minor nitpick... curses was written "for" adm3a, hp2621, and h19 terminals
# : Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
#
# Maybe I lost some early part of the thread, but curses,
# at least the one that I wrote (SysVr3.2 or later), is for all
# character terminals that can place the cursor at a random point on the screen.
# It handles video attributes for all the HP26* and TVI* terminals
# efficiently and correctly (as correct as possible for the TVI-variety).
# It also knows about multi-byte/multi-column characters (Japanese, Chinese).
# 	Phong Vo, att!ulysses!kpv

Ah, but what Peter meant (I think) is that the original 4BSD (or 2BSD, or
Version 7, or Version 6) curses from U.C. Berkeley, although designed to
be terminal independent, started with the terminals which people at U. C. had,
namely ADM3A, HP2621, H19 (or Z19) terminals, plus some few which other
grad students had at home/in the lab (like Televideo, ADS, and a few others)
and submitted TERMCAP entries for.  It was definitely NOT written specifically
for ANSI X3.64 terminals (although Z19/H19 emulated this spec).

AT&T of course, took the curses/termcap implementation and changed it to their
curses/terminfo (compiled termcap entries) implementation.