curses, terminfo, and termcap

John Quarterman jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Tue Jul 9 02:33:25 AEST 1985

From: John Quarterman (moderator) <ut-sally!std-unix>

Topic:  curses, terminfo, and termcap

Date: Sat, 6 Jul 85 01:06:24 edt
From: cbosgd.ATT!mark at seismo (Mark Horton)
To: std-unix at ut-sally.arpa
Subject: curses as part of the standard

The System V curses was intended to be mostly upward compatible with
Ken Arnold's version (the one in 4BSD).  It doesn't include a couple
of nonportable features, such as the 2 letter variables in curses.h
and the 4BSD way of getting at your erase character; there are portable
ways of doing this provided.

What I think is important about curses is not the code that implements
it (although this code was hard and it shouldn't have to be done more
than once) but the interface between the program and the package.
Curses is intended as a way to write portable screen oriented applications.
There are a number of functions in curses to enhance portability of the
application, some of which have little to do with screen handling but
seem to be needed by many screen oriented programs.  A curses application
should not care whether it's running on System V, 4.2BSD, or MS DOS.

Simpler implementations of curses that work on a PC make sense.  I know
of two implementations for MS DOS and one for QNX.  I also know of two
for UNIX that don't do optimization of handle braindamaged terminals, but
assume 9600 baud and an ordinary (or specific) terminal.

I personally would like to see curses (or some appripriate subset) become
part of the C standard, along with Standard I/O.  However, it appears that
the committee is not planning to do this.  Lacking this, I would like to
see it become part of a UNIX standard.

	Mark Horton