Case sensitive file names

Guest Moderator, John B. Chambers std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Sat Nov 22 07:11:54 AEST 1986

>From bu-cs!bzs at harvard.UUCP Wed Nov 19 07:19:28 1986
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 86 21:35:03 EST
From: bu-cs!bu-cs.BU.EDU!bzs at harvard.UUCP (Barry Shein)

The problem with a file system where you cannot have ReadMe and
README is that you are throwing away possibilities. This also
means that I cannot have tmp01234A, tmp01234B, ... , tmp01234a, ...

I fear that although many people have applications that are small and
have small requirements they should not place restrictions on those
with large requirements, use your imagination, consider MasterCard's
data base for a moment or some of the multi-library catalog systems
people are building, they may need (and have machines that have no
trouble with) many thousands of files who's names may serve as primary
keys (why not, it's one way to guarantee write-through on update...)

Next they'll be telling us we should only allow 16-bit ints because
any number larger than 16-bits is hard to type in and error prone
anyhow.

I still suggest the use of 'stty lcase' if that's what you want
(alias run 'stty -lcase; \!* ; stty lcase' :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 58