case sensitive filenames

Moderator, John Quarterman std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Wed Nov 5 13:12:53 AEST 1986

From: pyramid!utzoo!henry (Henry Spencer)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 86 19:48:36 CST

> There are also programs (the shell comes to mind) that use the eighth
> bit for their own purposes.  I believe the shell uses it as a quote
> indicator...

I believe that in recent times, AT&T has made strenuous efforts to stamp
out such extraneous uses of the 8th bit, so that full 8-bit character sets
could be used.  I know other vendors have as well.  So this objection will
not be valid much longer, even if it remains valid today.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 36