Case sensitive file names

Moderator, John Quarterman std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Fri Nov 7 23:55:01 AEST 1986

From: mcvax!axis!philip at seismo.css.gov (Philip Peake)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 86 09:41:00 -0100

In article <6226 at ut-sally.UUCP>:
>From: chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek)
>Date: Tue, 4 Nov 86 07:33:44 EST
>
>We seem to have three proposals:
>
>CS: Case sensitive file systems.  This is what all major Unix variants
>    (V6, V7, SysIII, SysV, 2BSD, and 4BSD) now support.
>
>CC: Case coercive file systems (file names forced to all upper or all
>    lower case).
>
>CR: Case retaining but otherwise insensitive file systems (new names
>    are created according to the given case; matches are not case
>    sensitive).
>
>I sincerely hope that no one is seriously suggesting POSIX adopt
>CC: no one seems to like such systems much.

This one line invalidates completely the rest of this article.
WHY do people trying to defend one of their pet ideas always claim
than 'no one' wants the opposite?

There is at least ONE person whod DOES want such filesystems - me!
And I DO suggest that POSIX adopt such a system.

Philip

[ Nor are arguments consisting solely of "I want it" very useful.  -mod ]

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 47