Case sensitive file names

Guest Moderator, John B. Chambers std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Tue Nov 18 04:49:07 AEST 1986

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 86 16:40:48 EST
From: Root Boy Jim <im4u!rbj at icst-cmr.ARPA>

Re: Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 25
>      This gives you all the directory advantages of a case-dependent
> filesystem.  The only "feature" you lose is the ability to create a
> separate Readme, ReadMe, readme, and README set of files.  I personally
> believe that anybody who creates files which differ from case deserves
> to be shot or at least have his employment terminated with extreme
> prejudice.  [ I suggest readers interpret that last sentence as a
> hypothetical statement applying to none of them.  -mod ]

There are several uses I can think of:

	1) linking: cd /etc; ln passwd PASSWD
		This makes it less likely that I will lose my passwd
		file even if I do `rm p*'.
	2) old versions: cd /etc; cp passwd PASSWD
		Keeps a backup version. Note that these two uses may
		conflict if I decide to `cp /dev/null PASSWD'!
	3) filename completion: using (1) an the 4.3 csh, I can type
		`vi /etc/P<ESC><RET>'. Ok, ok, emacs then :-)
	4) intermediate files: instead of picking a new name, I can
		just change case. Yes I know I can use other methods.

While I generally think it undesirable to depend on case for human
distinction, it comes in quite handy sometimes. I have seen the same
trick used in C programs as well, #defining foo to union_name.Foo.
Before you flame the usage, my source is the Berkeley VLSI tools.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	Was John Hinckley allowed to watch `Taxi Driver' last night?

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 54