Case sensitive file names

Guest Moderator, John B. Chambers std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Sat Nov 22 07:27:19 AEST 1986

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 86 08:39:02 -0200
From: mcvax!crin!tombre at seismo.UUCP (Karl Tombre)

On use of case in filenames :

>There are several uses I can think of:
>
>	1) linking: cd /etc; ln passwd PASSWD
>		This makes it less likely that I will lose my passwd
>		file even if I do `rm p*'.
>	2) old versions: cd /etc; cp passwd PASSWD
>		Keeps a backup version. Note that these two uses may
>		conflict if I decide to `cp /dev/null PASSWD'!
>	3) filename completion: using (1) an the 4.3 csh, I can type
>		`vi /etc/P<ESC><RET>'. Ok, ok, emacs then :-)
>	4) intermediate files: instead of picking a new name, I can
>		just change case. Yes I know I can use other methods.

Well and how about directories? I know at least 2 tools using cases in their
directories : rn (News directory) and mail mode in Unipress emacs (Messages
directory). So I generalized this use. All my directories begin with
uppercase, the other files with lowercase. This provides an easy way to
separate directory from file. Of course, that's what I do in my home
directory, I let /usr, /etc and so on remain in lower case :-)

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 60