General whining about slowness of 3b1....

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Fri Apr 14 15:25:25 AEST 1989

I concur with Alex' statements.  My own tests show the 3b1 to be faster
overall than a Mac ][ (except for floating point), and definitely more done
per unit time than with the office VAX 11/780 in EVERY respect (running VMS
4.7 and 14MB RAM; the 3B1 is 3.5MB RAM with the 67MB HD).

>From your description of the speed (or, more properly, the lack thereof), it
suggests that your PASCAL is an interpreter rather than a compiler.

If you really want a fast PASCAL compiler, contact LPI; email me for the
address.  LPI also has excellent Fortran and other languages for the 3B1 (as
shown at the recent UNIFORUM in San Francisco).  Their products are NOT
inexpensive; I'm still budgeting to buy their Fortran since I have some 30
years' worth of plotter stuff, math libraries, etc. that I want to run on the
3B1 (which I'm presently running on an Amiga 68020 using AbSoft's Fortran).

Thad Floryan [thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]