ksh

Arnold D. Robbins arnold at skeeve.UUCP
Thu Jun 1 10:28:13 AEST 1989

In article <711 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Well I found out in "vi-mode" you can do <ESC>_ and it will do exactly like
>the !$ in csh... so ksh is as good ;-)  I'm sure in emacs-mode there is
>an equivalent keystroke too..

There are about a zillion things you can do in ksh you can't do in csh.
I know of *no-one*, and have never heard reports of, anyone who has switched
back to csh from ksh.  Unix-pc people are out of luck, but, if you can get
ksh88, it can be compiled to do csh style {...,...} expansion, which is the
only feature of note that the csh still had.  Even the version of ksh that
comes with the Unix-PC, which is old, beats the heck out of any version
of the csh.

I have been using ksh for over 4 years, and wouldn't dream of trying to
use any other shell.  Dave Korn's book on ksh is available, and thoroughly
(if a bit dryly) documents both the programming language and the interactive
history interface.

In short, ksh is the only way to go.  Note: if you've never used ksh,
don't even bother trying to follow up to convince me otherwise.
--
"Crack-pot societies of all kinds sprang up everwhere, advocating everything
from absolutism to anarchy. Queer cults arose, preaching free love, the