3.51a keeps dying; even HDB is a mess; any ideas out there?

j eric townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Tue Jul 5 10:16:21 AEST 1988

In article <422 at kosman.UUCP>, kevin at kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:

> I am distressed because my machine keeps freezing on me.  It seems pretty
> clearly related to uucp traffic.  Just about 15 minutes ago, it froze for
> the first time while I was watching it.  It was just at the end of an
> incoming uucp call (my unix-pc feed, to be exact), and it left something
> for cunbatch in /lost+found.  This means that the freezing is costing me
> dropped news, which is something I have suspected for some time.

> What I'm looking for is some opinions from you folks who have been paying
> attention.  I want to know what configuration is the most reliable.  I can
> back off to 3.51 or even 3.50 kernel, I can play with uucp versions, I can

Okedoke.  I'm still running 3.0, and I *never* have uucico/uucp problems.

Ever, ever ever.  Well, I had them twice, actually, but once was
because I was playing around with uucico and friends. Bad idea. :-)

The one problem that I had was setgetty not finishing up %100.  ie:
the LCKs would be rm'd, but uucico wouldn't finish up and exit.  More
uucicos would start throughout the day, and not exit.  So... I'd
have about 8 uucicos, none of them talking on the line, and no LCK
files.
I killed all the uucicos, but that didn't help, the problem started again.
So I rebooted, and that solved the problem.

This is after about 1.5 years of unix-pc uptime and constant usage.

Personally, I'd be %100 content with 3.0 if I could have the 3.5
development set and libraries (flexnames, real curses, etc), but....

An idea:  run one machine as the "newsbox" with 3.0 and HDB (HDB under
3.0 is a godsend) and don't use it for much else.  Rogue, maybe, and
a few other things. :-)
--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007