3.51a keeps dying; even HDB is a mess; any ideas out there?

Andy Pitts andy at rbdc.UUCP
Wed Jul 6 07:54:36 AEST 1988

This has all been said before but I'll post it again for any new people
who may have missed it.  The standard things that screw up uucp are:

1) The inittab entry.  There MUST be a space preceding the entry for
the tty line in inittab. example:
 ph1:2:respawn:....
^ must have leading space.  If the space is missing setgetty will lock.

2) There is a bug on some versions of the eia/ram cards that causes the
system to crash.  The fix is simple, you just replace a chip.  If you are
using an eia card call the hotline and ask about it.  This bug only affected
V3.50 and later if my memory serves.

3) Also I seem to remember reading that the device driver for tty000 was
brain damaged.  As I recall it will not pass a null (so break won't change
speed) and hardware flow control did not work.  Some or all of this may
have been fixed with the fixdisk, but I don't know.  Perhaps someone else
out there can tell us.  The drivers for the eia cards seem to work however
(if you change the chip).

I hope this helps.
--
Andy Pitts andy at rbdc.UUCP  : "The giant Gorf was hit in  one eye  by a stone,
att    \                   : and that eye  turned  inward  so  that it looked