obnoxious mail

Paul Traina pst at anise.acc.com
Mon Oct 16 02:59:38 AEST 1989

bart at videovax.tv.tek.com (Bart Massey) writes:
>One thing that could conceivably help (albeit only slightly) is for all the
>sophisticated posters to alt.sources (especially the ones actually posting
>sources :-) to be careful to always put

Unfortunately, the messages that usually cause the most followups are
things like "Does anyone know where I can get the latest source for rogue?"

In a perfect world, we could have every news system administrator place
a recording file explaining what alt.sources is for before allowing people
to post to it.  B news has this feature in postnews, but no where else.

All in all,  my vote is for retroactive censorship.  Unfortunately, last
time that was tried,  there was a well deserved flamefest. :-(

The only ways that sort of thing would be acceptable is if a major group
of individuals banded together and agreed that non-source messages posted
OR cross-posted to alt.sources would be cancelled and returned to their
original author.  (i.e. send out a cancel message and send the original
message back to the author saying that s/he should repost it elsewhere)

So, now it comes back to "do we want alt.sources.martial-law" :-)