archiver wanted

Paul Allen paula at bcsaic.UUCP
Wed Jan 17 12:45:25 AEST 1990

In article <15442 at vlsisj.VLSI.COM> davidc at vlsisj.UUCP (David Chapman) writes:
>In article <3043 at usceast.UUCP> hobbes!godawski at usceast.UUCP writes:
>>3 or 4 years ago, source was available for the "arc" utility and ported to
>>a unix flavor machine.  It worked very much like pkarc/pkxarc.
>>Does anybody out there still have it?  If so, could you mail it to me?
>
>PKARC and PKXARC were actually "stolen" from ARC.  The latter is a copyrighted
>program written by System Enhancement Associates.  You can get source code for
>$50 (I have it, but obviously can't send it to you).  Send E-mail or post if
>you want the address (I don't have it here with me, sorry).

The arc sources were posted to the net.  It was my understanding that
SEA released the sources while retaining the copyright.  I don't
remember ever seeing any effort by SEA to stop the Usenet distribution of
arc.  The version of arc that I (occaisionally) use on our Ultrix (BSD)
VAX was posted to net.sources (or whatever it was called back then).
You could probably find it in the archives on uunet or wherever.  There
were System V versions floating around as well.

I'd be willing send a copy of my BSD flavor of arc to anyone who can't
get to the archives.  (Unless I get swamped with requests, in which case
I may post it again.)

Peace

Paul Allen
Paul L. Allen                       | pallen at atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen