Comp.sources.unix and replacing Rich Salz

Scott Horne horne-scott at cs.yale.edu
Fri Nov 30 19:03:39 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov28.214659.26551 at looking.on.ca> brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <10820 at rayssd.ssd.ray.com> gmp at quahog.ssd.ray.com (Greg Paris) writes:
<>The people I don't understand are the Rabid Salz Defenders.  The
<>newsgroup has been next to worthless for well more than a year now.
<>How can they defend the job he's been doing?  One may like the guy
<>personally, fine, but please recognize that he's been doing nothing,
<>effectively, for comp.sources.unix for a long time.
<
<They defend in reaction to attack.  USENET doesn't work the way it is
<implied that you think it does.  People who work to build usenet do things,
<but they have no duty to do so.   To *not* do something is not a negative
<thing.   So complaints that "these damn volunteers aren't working as hard
<as I think they should for me" are not always taken well.

Oh, come *on*!  Sitting on sources for a week is one thing; sitting on
sources for a year is quite another.  I'm sure Rich is a nice guy, and he
did a good job when he was moderating the group, but he effectively no longer
moderates it.  He's just holding up the exchange of sources.

I'm unpleasantly surprised at his selfishness.  He won't post anything until
someone asks for another moderator, whereupon he posts a couple of sources
just so that he can justify holding the reins.

<People want to hear constructive comments about what you are going to *do*
<about something, not what you don't like about it.

Constructive comments?  How about this one:  Get a new moderator.  Hell,
even removing moderation altogether would be better than letting Rich
guarantee that nothing gets posted to `comp.sources.unix':  Sure, a lot of
net.trash would be posted, but at least some sources could get out.
(_N.B._:  I'm not suggesting that `comp.sources.unix' be made unmoderated,
so don't waste your time and mine with silly flames.)

<If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you teach.

If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you prevent others from
doing.  This isn't your network; it belongs to all of us.  Others can do;
let them.

>That's the
<way USENET works.  Those who put their time and effort and resources into
<doing things are the people who make and control the network.  If you are
<not willing to put those things in, you get no say.

Oh, and what "say" do those who are willing to put in sources get?
Rich Salz is here for the net; the net isn't here for Rich Salz.

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne at cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520