Comp.sources.unix and replacing Rich Salz

Chris Anderson chris at utgard.uucp
Fri Nov 30 09:55:43 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov29.172427.11437 at acc.stolaf.edu> rabe at thor.acc.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.) writes:
>Brad, where do you get this crap?  To *not* fulfill ANY position of
>responsibility, regardless of its status as "volunteer" or "paid" or
>whatever, certainly IS negative, especially when it is leading to
>as much frustration as c.s.u has recently.  ESPECIALLY when there are
>people out there that are happy to take over the moderator position.

Where are they?  Comp.sources.misc has had an opening for a new
moderator for a month now.  I haven't seen this flood of qualified
volunteers taking that over.  Seems like people are quick to bitch,
but not so quick to help out.  Big surprise, eh?

>I don't know R $alz.  I don't dislike him.  But I have heard story
>after story from people who don't get even so much as a 1 line note
>from him when they submit something letting them know that he got
>it.  He apparently doesn't even have the courtesy to say "I got
>your submission, I'm buried over my neck in work right now, I'll
>look at it sometime in the future."  Apparently, he just doesn't
>even give people that much, which sure as hell wouldn't take a lot
>of time out of his work day.

Really.  Do you know how many submissions that he gets?  Or how long
it takes to get one ready for comp.sources.unix?  I routinely see
submissions that have had major pieces rewritten by Rich.  All this
and a regular work-day too.  And people sending him mail regarding
this or that.  "Could you send me pieces 1,4,9,10,11 (except for foo.h)
of big-release-2.0?"  I'm amazed that he has time to sleep, much less
answer mail.

>I can't take the job of moderator.  I don't have the competency
>needed to test the various programs and make sure that they are
>reliable enough to be released.  That is at least one thing that
>I can respect in $alz.  But, from what I have been reading, there
>are at least a few people out there who are qualified who are
>willing to do the job.  Why not let them?  If they intend to
>increase the flow of the newsgroup, and they're competent, and
>Rich $alz is really so overworked that he just can't moderate
>the group, what's the hassle?

Where are they?  You can't do it, I can't do it, Joe Blow can't
do it.  But we can sure bitch about it!  I've yet to see anybody
*seriously* say that they were willing to help out who had the
time, skills, and resources to do so.  I'm sure that Rich would
appreciate anybody who did.  Jeez, people, get off his back.

Chris