Comp.sources.unix and replacing Rich Salz

brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc. rabe at thor.acc.stolaf.edu
Fri Nov 30 04:24:27 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov28.214659.26551 at looking.on.ca> brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <10820 at rayssd.ssd.ray.com> gmp at quahog.ssd.ray.com (Greg Paris) writes:
>>The people I don't understand are the Rabid Salz Defenders.
>
>They defend in reaction to attack.  USENET doesn't work the way it is
>implied that you think it does.  People who work to build usenet do things,
>but they have no duty to do so.   To *not* do something is not a negative
>thing.   So complaints that "these damn volunteers aren't working as hard
>as I think they should for me" are not always taken well.

Brad, where do you get this crap?  To *not* fulfill ANY position of
responsibility, regardless of its status as "volunteer" or "paid" or
whatever, certainly IS negative, especially when it is leading to
as much frustration as c.s.u has recently.  ESPECIALLY when there are
people out there that are happy to take over the moderator position.

I don't know R $alz.  I don't dislike him.  But I have heard story
after story from people who don't get even so much as a 1 line note
from him when they submit something letting them know that he got
it.  He apparently doesn't even have the courtesy to say "I got
your submission, I'm buried over my neck in work right now, I'll
look at it sometime in the future."  Apparently, he just doesn't
even give people that much, which sure as hell wouldn't take a lot
of time out of his work day.

>If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you teach.

I can't take the job of moderator.  I don't have the competency
needed to test the various programs and make sure that they are
reliable enough to be released.  That is at least one thing that
I can respect in $alz.  But, from what I have been reading, there
are at least a few people out there who are qualified who are
willing to do the job.  Why not let them?  If they intend to
increase the flow of the newsgroup, and they're competent, and
Rich $alz is really so overworked that he just can't moderate
the group, what's the hassle?

>--
>Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

bmr

--
brett michael rabe: Phone-> 507/645-9387 Snailmail: Brett M. Rabe
  rabe@{cs, math, acc}.stolaf.edu                   100 N. Lincoln