Comp.sources.unix and replacing Rich Salz

Brad Templeton brad at looking.on.ca
Thu Nov 29 08:46:59 AEST 1990

In article <10820 at rayssd.ssd.ray.com> gmp at quahog.ssd.ray.com (Greg Paris) writes:
>The people I don't understand are the Rabid Salz Defenders.  The
>newsgroup has been next to worthless for well more than a year now.
>How can they defend the job he's been doing?  One may like the guy
>personally, fine, but please recognize that he's been doing nothing,
>effectively, for comp.sources.unix for a long time.

They defend in reaction to attack.  USENET doesn't work the way it is
implied that you think it does.  People who work to build usenet do things,
but they have no duty to do so.   To *not* do something is not a negative
thing.   So complaints that "these damn volunteers aren't working as hard
as I think they should for me" are not always taken well.

People want to hear constructive comments about what you are going to *do*
about something, not what you don't like about it.  (Of course, that has
never stopped people from yammering away about what they don't like :-))

If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you teach.   That's the
way USENET works.  Those who put their time and effort and resources into
doing things are the people who make and control the network.  If you are
not willing to put those things in, you get no say.