reap(8): expire news as space needed

David B. Thomas dt at yenta.alb.nm.us
Thu Mar 28 13:07:31 AEST 1991

I have posted a handy expire utility, reap(8), to alt.sources.  It expires
news automatically according to an algorithm you specify, stopping when
enough (defined by you) freespace is available.

It's great for small sites that want to keep news around as long as possible,
but are forced to expire aggressively due to space requirements.

I've been running reap for months now, in place of Cnews expire, and it works
great.  I get lots of news, and I never worry about running out of room, or
missing out on something in a group I treasure.

At the beginning of the posting in alt.sources, I have included the README
file, so you can decide if reap is for you.

					little david
--
Bottom of stack = 0x40000
Stack pointer   = 0x3fffe