mailx

J. Deters jad at dayton.UUCP
Thu Aug 10 12:45:02 AEST 1989

In article <6703 at dayton.UUCP> joe at dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) writes:

i>
n>I was given a copy of mailx by someone who said they got it from someone
e>who said it was public domain.  The only Copyright notice I found in the
w>entire distribution was on a support program called "xstr" -- "Copyright
s>1979 the Regents of the University of California, Berkeley".  No mention
 >at all if it can legally be redistributed.
f>
i>Can someone tell me if it's okay to redistribute this?  I've made some
l>changes some people may like.  I figure I'm covered, legally, but if it
k>isn't supposed to be PD (ie: someone stripped the rest of the copyright
 >notices before I got it), I don't want to step on toes.
 >
 >-Joe

It's always* ok to post diff's to a source.  All you have to do is
assume that the receipient is patching the same level of source you
are sending him diffs for.  :)

Technically, of course, your 'diffs' are not allowed to contain the
source lines.  They should only contain offsets into the file to
remain perfectly legal.

-j
--
J. Deters - jad at dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG  john at jaded.DHDSC.MN.ORG