unido making commercial use of the net

Christian Balzer balzer at frambo.dec.com
Thu Jun 29 02:34:24 AEST 1989

OK, I guess it's time for my $0.02.

I'm a CS student, part time DIGITAL employee and full time Amiga junkie. :-)

Many people commented already on the high phone costs and various other
aspects that make UseNet such an expensive adventure over here, so I'll
spare you that.
One of the many reasons I work for DEC is the fact that I can use Email
and post for FREE. But that probably isn't the solution for most of my
fellow German NEWS junkies. :-)

I see much brighter future for the Net over here within the next 3 years,
because:
a) In 1992/93 during the consolidation of the European Community the
Bundespost will have a tough time forbiding hardware that is legal in
other parts of Europe.
b) ISDN will probably reduce line costs.
c) Due to the availability of a PD version of UUCP and NEWS for the Amiga
(a rather popular system over here, ~400000 units sold in Germany), the
potential (and actual) number of nodes is bound to be rising fast.

Enough bandwith wasted for now,

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > EMail: ...!decwrl!frambo.dec.com!CB -OR- CB at frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  E-Net: FRAMBO::BALZER | Home-Phone: +49 6150 4151 (CET!)
------------ PMail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.