Quality programming in c -- a rarity?

Brandon Allbery bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Wed Feb 13 06:36:01 AEST 1985

+----------------
| > In other words, if those who write Unix utilities, surely the
| > top level of C hackers, routinely write bad code -- maybe some sort
| > of restrictions in the language are necessary to help people?
|
| Restrictions in the language (at least the ones I've seen talked about
| in this group) aren't going to force people to comment their code, nor
| will it force them to use nice long mnemonic variable names, nor will
---------------------------------^
IDENTIFIER TOO LONG
| it keep them from writing 10-page functions (my 3 major complaints
| about the Berkeley kernel).

PLEASE try to remember that not all of us run Berkeley Unix, and not
all of us can *afford* to run Berkeley Unix.  Our compiler routinely
chokes on long identifiers in Berzerker programs.

Long is OK, IF YOU KEEP THEM DISTINCT WITHIN SOME NUMBER OF CHARACTERS
-- the minimum being 6, and 7 to be compatible with v7 sites (8, - 1
for the _ prepended by the compiler).

Brandon (bsa at ncoast.UUCP)
--
Brandon Allbery, decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa, "ncoast!bsa"@case.csnet (etc.)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131 +1 216 524 1416 (or what have you)