Registers on the VAX 11/780?

Ken Arnold%CGL arnold at ucsfcgl.UUCP
Tue Jul 16 07:27:07 AEST 1985

In article <2238 at uvacs.UUCP> rwl at uvacs.UUCP (Ray Lubinsky) writes:
>--
>OK, I don't mind giving the complier some hints about what variables to turn
>into  registers, but how many register variables can I declare in a function on
>the VAX 11/780?  Usefully, that is.  Is the number different than the number of
>registers available for user programs?

Usefully, you can declare almost all of your variables to be register.
We just went through all this.  Since code written on one machine is
very often taken to others, and the word "register" isn't very hard to
type, you should declare almost everything a register.  Even data types
you don may not think fit in registers, like strucutures, enums,
doubles, and unions.

However, to answer the question -- 5.  The rest of the registers are
used for temporary values and other special purposes.

		Ken Arnol