GROK THIS!

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Dec 4 16:03:58 AEST 1988

In article <575 at sactoh0.UUCP> bfbreedl at sactoh0.UUCP (Bob F. Breedlove) writes:
>It's not the "cute names" so much that bothers me, it's terms like
>"grok" used in messages and other obscure references that inhibit
>understanding that drive ME nuts! When I'm working with a computer
>in a business application, I want a clear understanding of what a
>message -- especially an error message -- means! I don't want to
>have to refer to my vintage sci-fi collection or dictionary of
>american slang or old hippie friends to have to determine what just
>happened.

I lost track of the original reference, but I thought that the term
came up in the context of an advisory message ("now trying to see if
the compiler groks void") during software installation, not end-use.
You mean to tell me that there is a qualified system manager who
doesn't grok "grok"?  The verb is in common techie use, I thought.

Your point about jargon obscuring understanding is well taken, though.
It's something designers and implementors should be more aware of.