What PC to buy for programming under windows w/Turbo C

Phil Howard KA9WGN phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 12 07:35:16 AEST 1991

levin at world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) writes:

>I'm going to be replacing my old 8088 with a 386 of some type.  What
>I want to know is, given that I'm going to be writing programs of
>modest size to run under windows, using the newest version of the
>Turbo C compiler (I probably won't be using C++, ever),

>1.  Should I get more than 1 meg of RAM (I won't be using the machine
>for anything other than programming, I might start working in Paradox
>as well as c.)

Go for more megs.  It's cheap enough and likely worth it.  Windows can
sure use it.  Are you going to be doing your programming work while
under windows, or just start up windows to test things?  Of the former,
then certainly you will want the extra megs.  Go for at least 4 megs.

>2.  Any recommendation for memory management utility?  Do any of the
>popular ones conflict with the debugger drivers (the version of C I
>have has a driver called td386.sys).

Sorry.  I am still in learning mode on this one.

>3.  I take it from what I read that Borland now gives you a usable
>editor with C.  If this is untrue, what's the best cheapie/freebie
>editor to run under windows?

Editors are a matter of taste.  I plan to purchase Epsilon because I
am familiary with the EMACS command set.... unless someone has already
ported GNUEMACS to 386 pc's, or has a nice flexible one in C.

>4.  Any recommendations of brands of 386 machines that are on sale
>or whatever would be appreciated, but the prices are probably all

I have a Gateway 2000 386 system on order now (with 4 megs standard).
There are several good brands on the market.  No one is perfect and
they all have their glitches.  We have several Gateway 2000 systems
here and they are all performing fine.  If you need the machine NOW,
you might be better off ordering a standard configuration from a place
like ZEOS, although those are usually 512K so you would need more
memory you can install.
--
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \