Mixing 3.5 and 3.51

Chris Rende car at ramecs.UUCP
Thu Feb 21 13:59:05 AEST 1991

Some time ago I asked about mixing various versions of the kernel,
foundation set, and development set. Here are the results of my progressive
upgrading:

I have run my 2Mb/67Mb 3b1 with the following combinations and all have worked:

1) 3.5 Foundation set, 3.5 kernel, 3.51 Development set ==> works

2) 3.5 Foundation set, 3.51m kernel (linked from OSU binaries), 3.51 Development
   set ==> works

3) 3.5 Foundation set, 3.51m kernel (linked from OSU binaries), 3.51 Development
   set, Miscellaneous other fixed binaries from FIXDISK 2.0 (from OSU) ==> works

In all configurations, I have been running Bnews 2.11.19, a little UA stuff,
lots of UUCP from the OBM to a TeleBit TB+, much newsreading, much compiling
of UseNet software using shcc, dos73, RS232 activity at 9600 on tty000,
mahjongg, klondike, tetris, etc...

I have only had ~5 system lock-ups over the last 7 months and all while
using combination #1. In all cases, No panics at all, no trouble dialing TB+'s
at all, no phmgr trouble, no disk trouble, no hung processes, no slow windows.

By the way, /etc/issue works properly using the /etc/getty from FIXDISK 2.0.
(The 3.5 version doesn't display /etc/issue).

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,UnixPC/3B1