assembling with gas

Tom Tkacik CS/50 tkacik at hobbes.cs.gmr.com
Thu May 9 03:29:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991May8.035216.15851 at texrex.uucp>, rmfowler at texrex.uucp
(Rex Fowler) writes:
|> In article <334 at kyzyl.mi.org> tkacik at kyzyl.mi.org (Tom Tkacik) writes:
|>
|> [ I'm trying to compile with gcc but as(1) won't assemble teval.s ]

Last night I compiled perl 4.003.  If you read my other message on the subject
you will notice I am having some problems (though different than yours).
(Anybody compile perl with dbm?)

I compiled perl with gcc, except for eval.c (teval.c), and toke.c (ttoke.c).
Gcc ran out of virtual memory, so I fell back on cc for those files.
I did not have a problem with as(1) not being able to assemble any of the
resulting assembler files.  (Note that teval.c was compiled with cc.)  I do not
know why you ran into difficulty.

|> By the way, I did succeed in building perl 4.003 with setuid/setgid
emulation
|> with the stock cc.

What did you do to solve your problem?  Enquiring minds want to know. :-)

--
Tom Tkacik
GM Research Labs
tkacik at hobbes.cs.gmr.com