Header problems in gcc 1.39 on 3b1

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Fri May 31 03:26:21 AEST 1991

I've used several versions of gcc very happily on this 3b1.  I'm running
the 3.51 development system, and have been since it came out, but I generally
used gcc for all compiles.

Since I went from 1.37 to 1.39, however, a great many of my compiles have
been having trouble with the header files.

For instance, this morning I unpacked and went to compile unzip 4.1.  I munged
the Makefile to use gcc and made no other changes.  The compile failed.

It appears that unzip.c includes unzip.h; normal enough so far.  Somehow,
both /usr/include/string.h and /usr/local/include/std.h are getting included
from there, and they cannot agree on types for memset().  Just what is
happening to me?

I have a feeling that __STDC__ is part of the problem.  I also don't remember
seeing std.h before.  Just what has changed?  What should I do; I'm not
happy with the idea of using _traditional.

I know I could blunder about munging the *.h files, and I could get this
working, but I'm likely to wind up with a wildly nonstandard arrangement
if I do that, so I would rather find out how things are *supposed* to be.
Anyone know?
--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin at kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp at nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035