2MB ramdisk for 6300 plus

rps at homxc.UUCP rps at homxc.UUCP
Sat Feb 28 02:02:48 AEST 1987

         (I have finally done it!  I got a 2 meg ramdisk to work on
         my DOS only 6300+!  The hotline bulletins were no help.

         For those of you out there who have DOS ONLY 6300+'s and you
         want to install a 2 meg ramdisk (great for C compiler) this
         is what you do:

               You need:

                     PC 6300+ with 1 meg on motherboard - you only
                           need 640K, the other 384K gets wasted.
                     MS DOS 3.1.
                     AT&T Enhanced Memory Expansion Board populated
                           with 2048 MB memory.
                     AT&T AEMM, AEX and ramdisk software (comes with
                           board).

               On the memory board set:
                     SW1: 00000001
                     SW2: 11100000
                     make sure jumper is set to 6300+ setting
                     (default).

               In your config.sys file put at the top:

                     DEVICE=<path>aemm.sys
                     DEVICE=<path>aex.sys 2048
                     DEVICE=<path>ramdisk.dev /m/extm /DL

                     where <path> is where ever you happen to hide
                     these files.  The ramdisk.dev is the one supplied
                     with the memory board, NOT the one with DOS 3.1.

         The /m/extm tells the ramdisk to take all extended memory and
         use it.  The /DL is the CRUCIAL part that tells the ramdisk
         the leave the lower 1MB (640K for system, 384K wasted) alone!

         This will produce on your system a 2MB ramdisk known as D:.

         It really works.

         Russ Sharples
         homxc!rps