3B2/300 vs 310

Hans Jespersen hjespersen at trillium.waterloo.edu
Wed Sep 28 07:08:31 AEST 1988

In article <363 at occrsh.ATT.COM> rjd at occrsh.UUCP (Randy_Davis) writes:
>In article <159 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>
>>Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?
>
>  The primary difference is the speed of the system board.  The model 300
>system runs around 8 MHz, and the model 310 runs around 10 MHz (I keep
>forgetting the exact numbers - it might even be 8 and 12 MHz).  There might
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^
You were right the first time, it is 10 MHz.

>be other, incidental, differences such as hard disk size and basic serial
>ports configuration.
>
>Randy

The biggest difference is the WE32100 CPU in the 310 is more powerful than
the older WE32000 in the 3B2/300. Also, the 3B2/300 is no longer sold by AT&T
but the 310 is. Support is the issue I'm driving at. I do believe that AT&T
still supports the 300 but it is an important difference. Another important
difference is the operating systems. The most current releases of UNIX for the
3B line (3.2.X) will not run on the 300 but they will run on the 310. I believe
that the lastest OS release for the 300 will not support SCSI peripherals.
All in all, the 3B2/310 is a superior machine (big surprise eh) above and
beyond the gain in clock speed.

Hans Jespersen          UUCP : attcan!{uunet|utgpu}!watmath!trillium!hjespersen
University of Waterloo  USENET  : hjespersen at trillium.waterloo.edu
Waterloo, Ontario       VOICENET: (519)747-1721
                        MAILNET : 20 Dunbar St. N, Waterloo, Ont., N2L 2C7