Various 3B* questions

Daniel Notov danno at 3b2.UUCP
Sat Sep 24 00:05:07 AEST 1988

In article <856 at vsi.UUCP>, friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:

>      I've a handful of 3B15/3B2 questions for you people:

You're not alone!

> [*] is it possible to run more than 2 ADLI (async data line
>     interfaces) on a single IOA (I/O accelerator).  We assume
>     no, but we've heard rumors to the contrary.

Our big 3B15 is configured as follows:
	IOA0
		ADLI0
		ADLI1
		ADLI2
	IOA1
		ADLI3
		ADLI4
		ADLI5
	IOA2
		ADLI6
		ADLI7
		ADLI8
	IOA3
		ADLI9
		ADLI10
There are also two tape drives, and 3 FSD's.

As far as I know,  the design limit is 4 ADLI'S to 1 IOA,  the practical
limit being 3 to 1.  The above config has been in operation for about one
year.

> [*] a customer just upgraded a 3B5/301 to a 3B15, and it's
>     in a single cabinet.  We keep getting the following message
>     on the console roughly once per hour:
>
> 	WARNING: fan unit reports a minor fault

Our other two 3B15's are single cabinet machines.  Never got that one,  and
those boxes were upgraded just this past April.

A question for the net:  Has anyone recently upgraded to SVR3.1 on a 3B15?
What am I getting myself into?  We're looking to add the following to the
machine above:
	SVR3.1
	10BASE5: (Was 3BNET NI)
	WIN/3B V1.2
	3BFIM to connect to an ISN.
We'll probably remove one IOA community (24 ports)
Thank's
--
	Daniel S. Notov		|	{monster,uunet}!onm3b2!danno
	Ogilvy & Mather, Inc.	|	(212) 907-4255