AT&T 6300+ add-in disk problem!

Bill Pechter pechter at scr1.UUCP
Fri May 26 01:40:07 AEST 1989

In article <1537 at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> wilson at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Samuel Wilson) writes:

>Under AT&T DOS 3.2 the performance is *terrible* -- about
>.5 the speed of an IBM-XT according to Norton SI v.4.  The disk is
>fast enough, and the computer is fast enough, but the controller card
>/ Diskmanager software / DOS version / ROM version software is a
>disaster.

The answer is simple, disable the ROM on the WD controller (I believe
it's W3, go to the internal hard disk bios table on the motherboard
(there's a dip switch -- I don't know which one, I'm running a 6300)
and reformat the disk using dos and fdisk to partition.  I doubled my
disk speed on the 6300.  The interleave should be somewhere between 3 and
6 on the 6300 plus to get the maximum speed.

There's supposed to be a 16 bit Olivetti disk controler card for the
M24 and  M25 but AT&T didn't use it in the states.  I'd kill for one.

My 6300 with V30 runs with interleave of 3 (after using qfresh to
cut the refresh time down).  I get 135kb data transfer rate
-- 85 was the best I could do on the WD rom.  It's not the rom, however.
The 6300 runs the bus at 4mhz.  I think the 6300 plus does the same.
--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757