Sendmail Problems

Jackie Gunn nejlg at tness7.UUCP
Sun Oct 8 08:20:06 AEST 1989

We have a 3B2/600 which is running version 3.0 of the Wollogong
TCP/IP software. The problem I'm having is the the sendmail
program (or the sendmail.cf) not correctly interfacing to the
smail program for resolution of uucp paths. If you pass it a
TCP/IP address (user at host) it works, if you pass it uucp address
(host!user) it works, but it will not process a user at host when
host is a uucp connected machine. This sendmail is not
pathalias smart nor can I seem to get it to pass that address on
to smail so it can figure out the path and call uux.

The smail code comes (ver2.5) with a shell to generate a sendmail.cf that
can be installed and will pass these addresses on to smail and the
previous version of the Wollogong Package (version 2.1 I think) was
working perfectly with this sendmail.cf, but due to
other bugs in this package we upgraded as soon as possible to the
3.0 verion. Now the new version wont work with the same sendmail.cf.

The version of sendmail that comes with this package is
version 5.59. For whatever thats worth.

I have tried other sendmail.cf files with no luck yet,
and the strange thing is that the Wologong sendmail will
work with some sendmail.cf files but only if it's in debug mode.
Otherwise it won't work.

Since sendmail.cf file's are written in greek ( or worse) and I
have no doucmentation on their syntax I haven't had much luck
at trying to customize a sendmail.cf or even figure out what's
happening in that file.

Anyone who has had this problem and can share insight would be
appreciated.

Jackie Gunn
Southwestern Bell Tel Co.
Dallas Texas.