questions, making rn on Sys V UNIX

neal pollakck neal at smcnet.UUCP
Mon Feb 19 06:17:27 AEST 1990

Will some kind soul please provide some insight into the following
questions?  Maybe I can learn something new;

I am trying to make rn on an AT&T 3B2/600 with AT&T UNIX sys V 3.2.
While going through the rn Configure program, it asks the question;

*On some systems the default C compiler will not resolve multiple global
*references that happen to have the same name.  On some such systems the
*"Mcc" command may be used to force these to be resolved.  On other systems
*a "cc -M" command is required.  What command will force resolution on
*EOM
*    $echo $n "this system? [$dflt] $c"

What is the proper answer for the standard AT&T compiler?  I have been
into the manual, but maybe am not looking in the proper places.

Next, while attempting to compile rn, the following occurs;

	cc -c -O ngdata.c
"ngdata.c", line 179: syntax error
"ngdata.c", line 186: dirp undefined
"ngdata.c", line 189: warning: illegal pointer/integer combination, op =
*** Error code 1  S T O P.

The source code line is in this block of file ngdata.c;
/* scan a directory for minimum article number greater than floor */

ART_NUM
getngmin(dirname,floor)
char *dirname;
ART_NUM floor;
{
    register DIR *dirp;     <<<=== Line 179, SYNTAX error ???
    register struct direct *dp;

I could use some help decoding this error.  Is it complaining that
DIR is not defined in a header file?  Or is the problem in using this
as a register pointer?

So far I have learned that AT&T Sys V does not have libndir or dbm.
Where do I learn what these do, and where they come from?

Any guidence or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Neal Pollack
Santa Monica College
213-450-5150 x9845