looking for vfprintf

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Mon Feb 19 04:21:30 AEST 1990

	  from my system libraries.  How do I fix this?

I was trying to compile a program using the GKS graphics package,
and the compiler couldn't find some for the symbols in the package:
 - 	cc -O -c fractals.c
 - 	cc fractals.o -o fractals -L/usr/lib -lcvdi -ltam -ltermcap
 - undefined		first referenced
 -  symbol  		    in file
 - v_cellarray         		fractals.o
 - vrq_string          		fractals.o
 - ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to fractals
 - *** Error code 13

So, I tried to look in the library /usr/lib/libcvdi.a with nm:
nm:  /usr/lib/libcvdi.a:  bad magic
 then file:
/usr/lib/libcvdi.a:	5.0 archive
/usr/lib/libcurses.a:	5.2 archive

Well, since SOME symbols seemed to be being defined, I figured that
I'd just look with strings to see what was there.  That meant that
I needed to make the PD strings program I picked up recently:
 - 	ld -s -o strings strings.o /lib/crt0s.o /lib/shlib.ifile -lld
 - undefined		first referenced
 -  symbol  		    in file
 - vfprintf            		strings.o
 - ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to strings
 - *** Error code 13

vfprintf IS listed in the 3b1's manual.  Does anybody know what is going
on here?  I have this vague recollection that I had this problem once
before, I see to recall fixing something like this before my hardisk
splattered.

				Kris A. Kugel
	{uunet,att,rutgers}!westmark!hico2!kak <--daily
	                        ssbn!hico2!kak <--semi-daily