Twisted pair (StarLan) to ThinNet

Bill Jackson bj at ohsuhcx.ohsu.edu
Thu Mar 29 03:19:42 AEST 1990

Has anyone found a good way to bring ThinNet into a twisted pair (StarLan)
network?  I have a campus network based on StarLan components from AT&T and
have successfully infiltrated standard Ethernet devices into the net using "AUI
adapters" which are little gizmos with a transceiver connector on one end and
an RJ45 jack on the other.  This way I have got TCP/IP traffic to coexist with
the StarLan stuff and it works well.  Now people want to do the same thing with
ThinNet runs containing Dec, Sun and NeXT traffic.

I have tried adapters from Synoptics with the Dec stuff and it didn't work.  A
DEMPR from Digital (Digital ThinWire Ethernet Multiport Repeater) might get me
from thin to transceiver, but its an expensive might!

Is the problem a lack of a twisted pair standard?  The Synoptics stuff was all
billed for their LatticeNet stuff - is this not the same as StarLan?

Any feedback appreciated.

--
William Jackson               University Systems & Computing, Gaines Hall #113
Oregon Health Sciences University, 3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR